Paperwhites are THE holiday flower. Their scent fills the air inside or outside. 'Inbal' boasts of a better fragrance and stronger stems than other modern paperwhite varieties! This paperwhite variety orginally comes from Israel, it performs well as an annual in the South. These bulbs are great for forcing, so plant 4-6 weeks before Christmas for a holiday season bloom!
Paperwhite bulbs, also known as Narcissus tazetta papyraceous, are a type of daffodil that is native to the Mediterranean region. They are known for their delicate, fragrant blooms, which make them a popular choice for indoor gardening. You can do so many things with paperwhites during the holiday season. We have them in pots all around the house, in planters outdoors, and in the ground. It smells and feels like the holidays as they fill the air with their fragrance.
- When to plant: (Blooms will appear 4-6 weeks after planting)
- Plant the beginning of October for Thanksgiving blooms.
- Plant during the first or second week of November for fresh Christmas blooms.
- Plant at Thanksgiving for New Year's blooms.
- Where to plant:
- You can plant them in pots indoors for fresh blooming flowers on your holiday table or guest room.
- Plant them outdoors in planters, to define borders, or en masse for dramatic displays. If you have a bare spot in the garden or empty planters from summer flowers, use paperwhites to add color and fragrance.
- Scent and Varieties:
- Inbal: Features a sweet and gentle scent, similar to regular Narcissus. It produces double blooms.
- Ziva: Has a strong spicy scent and is known for its large white flowers.
- How to plant:
- Paperwhite bulbs are easy to grow, and they don't require any special soil or care. Simply plant the bulbs in a container with drainage holes, and place the container in a well-lit area. Keep the soil moist, and within a few weeks, you'll have beautiful, fragrant paperwhite blooms to enjoy.
- Be sure to place them in full sun whether indoors or outdoors. If indoors, turn them daily.
- Watch the video below to see how to plant your bulbs in your pot for indoor growth.
- Water them regularly if outside, but if in a pot inside, only water them if the soil becomes dry. You'll water them more frequently as they grow.
- Plant with colorful pansies or other annuals at the base to add immediate color and layers to your pots.